Thursday, October 2, 2008

Handicapped People Overcoming Obstacles to Become Great

I remember as a kid growing up and attending school with a kid who had no arms and one fake leg. His name was Chris and I will never forget him. He attended school with me and my brother and had a strong personality, outside of his handicap he was really a pretty normal kid. He attended most of the same classes and had many of the same friends. But thinking back on his existence, he had to overcome way more obstacles than myself and most other kids at our school. Chris is just one story of many.

Recently one of my upline contacts in a network marketing business I was involved in, was very successful and he was blind. We have all probably either heard or seen the movie, "Door to Door" with William Macy about a salesman from Portland, Oregon named Bill Porter. Bill Porter is a real person who had cerebral palsy, could barely make out sentences, yet he built a very loyal customer base selling products door to door. If you have not seen the movie and you have an interest in sales, network marketing, or being successful, I highly recommend that you rent this film or buy it from your local video store.

This evening I watched a 60 minutes segment on a man with no legs or arms who has become a motivational speaker and is changing the lives of many in his home country of Australia. When I think of handicapped people overcoming great obstacles, I cannot help but think of Stephen Hawking who is a famous theoretical physicist. Stephen has been confined to a wheelchair for most of his life. Yet, he has made startling revelations regarding our planet in relation to the universe and his most famous revelation in terms of black holes emitting radiation, which has been declared Hawking radiation.

Another that comes to mind is a former American President Franklin D. Roosevelt who served in the White House from 1933 - 1945 and is the only US President who served more than 2 terms, all while he was paralyzed and confined to a wheel chair. I'm sure most everyone has heard the name of Helen Keller. She was deaf and blind from birth, and managed to finish college, and went on to become a world famous speaker and author. And who can forget Ray Charles, one of the most famous rhythm and blues performers of a generation. Many declared that Ray was a genius. His life was so interesting and successful that his life was later turned into a Hollywood Movie starring Jamie Foxx, which ultimately won Foxx the 2005 academy award for his performance.

The above is just a few examples of some amazing handicapped people who overcame great obstacles to accomplish incredible things. When I think of these people I wonder, how I can ever fail at anything, when these people have accomplished far more, and have had to overcome handicaps, which I can't even imagine. You might say their handicaps were their friend. As many had to learn to live in a world with no light, sound, or ability to walk, speak, or move normally. I think the one thing that made these people great, is they all believed in themselves and they all had a willingness to succeed. The next time you feel like a failure in business, relationships, or life. Think of those less fortunate that have accomplished great things.

source:

John Lowery

http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=John_Lowery

No comments: