Monday, January 14, 2008

Khayyam and Life

I read about famous Omar Khayyam. Khayyam means ‘the tentmaker’. However, he was known foremost as a great Persian man at his golden age. Born on May 18, 1048 in Nishapur, Persia (Iran), live as a well known poet, mathematician and philosopher, and died December 4, 1131.

One thing I read is that Khayyam was quoted in Martin Luther King Jr’s speech:

Why I oppose the war in Vietnam. "It is time for all people of conscience to call upon America to come back home. Come home America. Omar Khayyám is right 'The moving finger writes; and having writ, moves on.'" Yeah life must go on and on.

Khayyam always talked about life with a beautiful style. Below is pieces from his Rubaiyyat (quatrains), talking about Life itself.


And, as the Cock crew, those who stood before

The Tavern shouted - "Open then the Door!

You know how little time we have to stay,

And once departed, may return no more."


Oh, come with old Khayyam, and leave the Wise

To talk; one thing is certain, that Life flies;

One thing is certain, and the Rest is Lies;

The Flower that once has blown for ever dies.


Myself when young did eagerly frequent

Doctor and Saint, and heard great Argument

About it and about: but evermore

Came out of the same Door as I went.


With them the Seed of Wisdom did I sow,

And with my own hand labour'd it to grow:

And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd -

"I came like Water, and like Wind I go."


I confess, his words above are moving and make me impressed. Iran has really its jewel.

No comments: